Building a WordPress website is easy – if you know what you’re doing. However, you might run into trouble if you don’t have a lot of design or web development experience. You might choose to take some courses and learn the skills you need to build your own WordPress site, but a lot of people simply pay a developer to build their website for them.
But is it really worth it?
In this article I’ll run through a few of the pros and cons of hiring a professional web designer to build your new or updated responsive website for you. Ultimately, it’s something that will work for some people, but not for others – so you need to do your research.
Why should I consider paying a developer to build my website?
A few of the reasons why you should consider hiring a developer to build your WordPress website include:
- Experienced developers will be able to build a website quickly, which will help you get online fast.
- It will save you time. Ultimately, you might be better off spending your time doing things that you’re good at. Building your own website can take a lot of time and effort, which might result in lost income.
- You’ll get the design that you want. It can be hard to design your own website, especially if you’re not a very creative person. Since web developers build websites for a living, they will be able to help you put together the exact site that you want.
Pros of hiring a web developer to build your website
Some of the pros of hiring an experienced WordPress developer include:
- You don’t need to have any WordPress experience.
- You can base your website on a custom theme and custom design.
- Additional functions can be hard-coded into your website, rather than included via plugins.
- You won’t have to spend a lot of time building your own website.
- Your site will be well made, SEO optimised, and ready to go.
Cons of hiring a web developer to build your website
Some of the cons of hiring an experienced WordPress developer include:
- Developers are expensive. Costs for a website can range into the thousands of dollars.
- You won’t learn how to use WordPress, which will make ongoing maintenance difficult.
- You might not get exactly what you want.
- You might not get the best hosting deal.
So, should I hire a professional developer for my WordPress website?
Ultimately, this will depend on your exact situation. If you only need a basic website without a lot of functions, then you should go ahead and build your own site – especially if you have the time to do so. WordPress isn’t that hard, and you will be able to learn the necessary skills pretty quickly.
On the other hand, you should think about hiring a developer if you want a large site, if you want a custom design, if you need specific features, or if you don’t have time to do things yourself.
As you can imagine, this decision isn’t always easy. Make sure that you do your research and weigh up your options carefully before deciding on one option or the other.